Tooele Medical Group Logo
Click to Find a Location

Call us for an appointment
435-775-9973

Plantar Fasciitis

Plantar Fasciitis

Plantar Fasciitis in Athletes and Even YOU

What do Albert Pujols, Kobe Bryant, and Eli Manning have in common? Besides all being athletes, they have all suffered from plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain in adults, and has affected many professional athletes during their career. Unfortunately, this condition also occurs in many adults who are not athletes, so read on to learn more about what plantar fasciitis is and how it is treated.

What is the plantar fascia anyway?

The plantar fascia is a thick band of tissue that runs from your heel bone to your toes. It helps support the arch of your foot. Plantar fasciitis results from stress to the tissue, and can be very painful.

What are the symptoms?

Most patients with plantar fasciitis complain of pain in their heels. Often, the pain is worst when getting out of bed in the morning, but gets better as you walk throughout the day. As the tissue stretches throughout the day, it becomes less painful to walk. Resting allows the tissue to return to its pre-stretched state, which makes the pain come back.

What treatments are available?

There are several treatments for plantar fasciitis. Conservative treatments include orthotics (arch supports) and stretching the plantar fascia. Other treatments that may be of benefit are taking anti-inflammatories, wearing supportive shoes and icing the painful area. Many patients know that corticosteroid shots in the heel can help with the pain and reduce inflammation.  Others still might need Physical Therapy and a night splint, which is a device that keeps your foot in a fixed position to help stretch the tissue.

Does treatment work?

Conservative treatments work 98% of the time and the remainder 2% require either the use of a Tenex ultrasound-guided debridement of the diseased tissue or an endoscopic plantar fascia release, both of which are quick outpatient procedures.

Finally, it is important to talk to your doctor if you have heel pain, because several conditions can cause pain in the heel. If your heels hurt, make an appointment for an examination and discussion on the best treatment options for you.

 

– Dr. Jeff Carlson at Tooele Medical Group Foot & Ankle Clinic.

If you’d like to schedule an appointment, call 435.843.3598